Intermittent Fasting is the type of diet where there is a feeding time and fasting time of certain time periods. It focuses on the foods that you can eat in the feeding time and also not to eat or eat zero calorie foods in the fasting time. There are time periods of intermittent fasting like 14/10, 12/12, 16/8 where it is fasting time/ feeding time which is 14 hours of fasting time and 10 hours of feeding time or 12 hours of fasting time and 12 hours of feeding time or 16 hours of fasting time and 8 hours of feeding time.
Intermittent fasting can be done either on alternate days, on periodic basis meaning for a week with a normal diet and then another week of intermittent fasting or every day basis. As per the best nutritionist in Bangalore, the meal timings depend on how and when it is consumed. For instance, in a 14/10 type, if your first meal of the day is at 8 am in the morning then your last meal is going to be at 6 pm. From 6 pm to 8 am is your fasting period. You can consume water or zero calorie foods in the fasting period. Some religious practices also follow the intermittent fasting by not eating for long hours like during the month of Ramadan. There are also other ways to follow intermittent fasting like following it on alternate days or for just 2 days a week or even having just on large meal in the feeding time so you can sustain for long hours without eating. Intermittent fasting has shown effective weight loss but it is not necessary that it if worked for one person it will also work the same way on your body. Every individual is different and if a person has lost weight or has other benefits; it may not work out the same way for you. This is because even during the time you eat you need to make the right choices of food and also follow the timings cautiously. You require a systematic way to eat and not eat anything which will not help you lose weight. The way that Intermittent fasting helps you lose weight can be because it reduces the consumption of calories that you intake helping in weight loss. It can also be because it boosts the metabolism in the body making the body burn fat more effectively. There are limitations also for intermittent fasting, as to people who cannot follow this kind of diet: Women who are pregnant or lactating, children with chronic diseases, persons who are underweight, patients with low blood pressure, persons suffering from diabetes.
Intermittent fasting has worked effectively for many people and also shown reduction in weight and also other benefits by enhancing metabolism, controlling blood sugar levels, improving sleep and also controlling blood pressure. There are some specific reasons as to why you might not be losing weight while intermittent fasting.
- You eating a lot more than required: The calorie reduction is not as it should be which means that you are eating in your feeding time more than your calorie expenditure. So your body will not show weight reduction because the consumption of calories is same as during the normal diet.
- You are not eating the right nutritious foods: The adequate amount of nutrition is not given to you in right amount; you may be eating calorie dense foods rather the nutritionally dense foods which provide the right amount of macro and micro nutrients.
- You are not eating enough on non- fasting days: When you are on your break from the intermittent fasting plan you need to make sure that you are consuming enough nutritious food for your body to store the energy that you consume on the non- fasting days.
- You might not be sticking to the timings: You might skip meals and feel hungry later which makes you not follow the IF routine properly and then you may end up eating later.
- Not Following the right type of IF: Following the type of plan or timing you chose did not suit you to keep up with your goal can also cause you to not lose or have a proper nutrition which you expected.
There might be the above factors which you can consider when taking up a plan which will help you lose weight. Even if you want to take up an intermittent fasting plan consult a dietitian who can suggest you how to start up with it and also do not set unrealistic goals. Be honest to yourself so that you are able to achieve your personal goals for losing weight. Initially you can start with a simple normal plan reducing your calorie intake to get comfortable with it. Then after that you can start with an intermittent fasting plan of a shorter period and then switch to the type of plan or also the timing of IF plans which suits you the best and which you are comfortable with according to your needs. You can always ask your dietitian as to how to go about it and what would be the best plan which will help you fulfill your body goals. In that case you might be able to see effects with the help of an expert also by suggesting what the best choices to make on an intermittent fasting plan to ensure that you on the right track and can go ahead with it.